- StFX is hiring an Admissions Advisor for Western Canada, based in Calgary! This is an exciting opportunity for someone to help spread the good word about StFX! The successful applicant will attend post-secondary events, education fairs and high school events to help StFX attract students of the highest quality. The position begins in June 2013 and is a three-year, full-time contract.
A StFX graduate is preferred, particularly if she/he has life experience. If you or someone you know is interested, please send a CV and cover letter in confidence to: Human Resources, StFX University at email@example.com. For more information, or to see a terms of reference, please contact the chapter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We are pleased to announce the two newest recipients of the prestigious Dr. Ed O'Connor Scholarship.
Cassia Tremblay is a pending graduate of Bishop Carroll High School in Calgary. In addition to her outstanding academic achievement, Ms. Tremblay also plays rugby and soccer. She has plans of going to medical school.
Catherine DeCock is a pending graduate of St. Michael's High School in Pincher Creek, Alberta. She is very active in 4H, she plays violin with the Crowsnest Symphony, and plays basketball, volleyball, rugby and track.
Congratulations to both Cassia and Catherine!
- Our Annual Student Send-off is set for Sunday, June 23. It will be held at the Mount Pleasant Community Centre from 5-7 pm. The chapter already has an estimated 20 returning students who are volunteering for the event as student ambassadors. We can always use alumni volunteers, though, so please contact the chapter (email@example.com) if you can lend a hand.
- There will be a golf tournament at D'Arcy Ranch Golf Club (near Okotoks) on Friday, June 21 in support of the StFX Men's Soccer Team. It's called the StFX Soccer Summer Solstice Golf Event. To register, click here. For more information, please contact Dennis Kwan at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 403-863-8883.
- If you are a graduate of the class of 2004 or earlier and you would be interested in mentoring a new graduate of StFX, please drop the chapter a line. The Calgary chapter is helping the SAINT program (Students and Alumni IN Touch) update its database of career mentors. Please let us know the areas of expertise in which you'd be able to help (e.g., medicine, law, business, education, government, not-for-profit, etc.). You don't have to find a grad a job, per se, but perhaps a nudge in the right direction.
In general, the chapter needs mainstay volunteers for our executive team. A number of our executive team members are going through some life changes and so we could really use some help. If you can spare some time, please drop the chapter a line (email@example.com) or contact Oliver at firstname.lastname@example.org.
News from campus
There's also a lot happening at StFX to pass along:
- StFX has joined three other post-secondary institutions in Atlantic Canada (Bishop's, Mt. Allison and Acadia) to share resources and ideas. The new partnership is called the U4 League (www.u4league.ca). In a joint letter to the StFX community, StFX President Dr. Sean Riley and Academic Vice-President Dr. Mary McGillivray state: The U4 League universities are residential and are focused on providing individual students with an exceptional engaged undergraduate university experience, a transformative experience both inside and outside the classroom. A significant, although not exclusive, focus of the U4 League will be to deepen and extend Canadians’ knowledge of and appreciation for the quality education and experience provided by the U4 universities.
In the fall, StFX will host a conference on student leadership.
- Dr. Tim Hynes has been named the new Dean of Business (http://www.stfx.ca/news/view/9911/ ). Dr. Hynes, a StFX grad and former faculty member, was most recently the Director of the Ron Joyce Centre for Business Studies at Mt. Allison. He succeeds Leo Gallant.
Be sure to visit our Facebook page (StFX Alumni Association - Calgary Chapter) or follow us on Twitter (@StFXCgyChapter) for more information from both the chapter and StFX.
Finally, please join us in congratulating the Class of 2013 as they convocate this weekend in Antigonish. You can watch everything live by visiting www.stfx.ca at 6:30 am and 12:00 pm Calgary time.
Hail and Health,
Your Calgary chapter executive team:
Oliver, Jay, Phil, Claire, Erin, Sarah, Jeff, Lexi and Mike